The Victoria Racing Club (VRC) has a long and proud history. Located at Australia’s most famous racecourse, Flemington Racecourse, the VRC continues to uphold the traditions that have made it Australia’s premier racing club.
The VRC was established in 1864, when it commenced the management of Flemington Racecourse, and is governed by a Board of Directors, elected by the Members of the Club.
Currently, the VRC has 170 staff. In addition, the Club employs a sizeable event-based workforce to run 23 racemeetings per season, including the world-renowned Melbourne Cup Carnival.
Where did it all begin?
The Victoria Racing Club (VRC) (1864) evolved from two earlier rival clubs, the Victoria Turf Club (1852) and Victoria Jockey Club (1857), who disbanded to create the new club. They had previously run their own separate racemeetings at the racecourse. Before the Victoria Turf Club began, self-appointed committees of interested horse owners had organised the annual races.
From 1864 until the end of 2001, the VRC acted as the principal authority responsible for the conduct of racing in Victoria. Racing Victoria Ltd now fulfills this function.
In August 2006, the VRC was incorporated to become Victoria Racing Club Limited.